It all started 6 months back when I was working with a company and I had an issue with one director so resigned the job. And when I was coming back home I was cursing myself that I should apologize and how will I be able to manage the expenses of a metro city. But when I look back now it looks like the best decision I have ever made till now. I was searching online for jobs and interviews then I came across people sharing their experiences of begin working as a freelancer. I knew about freelancing but I was not sure if I can make as much money as I am getting from my job. But I was getting broke, so I gave it a shot.
Then I begin working as a freelancer with Toptal a freelancing platform and there are many more platforms like Guru, Upwork, Codersera.
- Toptal – Toptal itself says that they hire only 3% freelancers from a ton of freelancers. And I was fortunate to be in the 3%. They hire only the best professionals who have achieved greatly in their domain.
- Guru – Guru hires and provides 3 million freelancers. It means the client has many options to choose the person who is the best fit for the project. I have not worked with Guru personally but one of my friends does, and they told me about the process of Guru.
- Codersera – Codersera hires the raw and unique talents who have mastered their skills and the selection process is intense. But they charge a little but that charge is worthy. I have been working with Codersera: A global community of top Coders, Designers, and Devops for a month now and I have the most amazing experience by far.
As a newbie, I was learning things, so I begin working as a freelancer and I made a little money in the starting. Therefore, I thought to share my experience with you guys. The first thing that matters the most is to accept and understand the environment.
You can also read: How to Become a Successful Freelance Professional?
Accept and understand the environment
To accept and understand the environment for a person who is working 9-5 and who has 50-60 people sitting around might feel alone or isolated. So, the first thing that I learn and feel in the past 6 months that it is necessary to accept the environment and in starting you may face difficulties but when I look back now, I know the evolved person I have become. Then when you are ready to go, choose a platform, and start taking projects by choosing the field of expertise.
I went over some profiles of people who are making huge money in this field and the other that I feel is important is brand value.
Brand Value we all know the value of the brand. How important brand has become in our everyday life and this field especially where people don’t meet each other in person. So, the topmost freelancers have become a brand. The one example is a basic white tee costs you around $10 and the same white tee has written Gucci on it costs you around $100. So, in this domain, you have to make a brand of yourself. As it will help in getting good clients and conversion rates and eventually more profit.
Pricing on my personal experience I would recommend to charge a very genuine price in the starting. A newbie aims to build a network of good clients and good projects and try to give over 100% for the first few projects to build trust among the clients. And one thing that is also important to check the price of fellow freelancers to have an estimated amount to charge.
Professionalism and Authenticity
While taking up the project and discussing the things with the client, listening to everything correctly and gathering the important stuff, makes the stuff easy. And professionalism in any kind of work is much more important than anything. It becomes one extra point by freelancer if he handles the project professionally creating no problem. There are some points which should be considered
- Very clear about the deadline and the freelancer is supposed to finish it before the deadline so that it will look nicer in the eye of a client
- Code of conduct should be followed
- The meeting that needs to be fixed according to the availability of the client.
There can be a communication gap between the client and the freelancer. Communicating regularly with the clients eliminates the problem of misunderstanding. Provide them full information about the changes in the project through communicating platforms like Slack, Nimble. Hangouts.
It avoids the gap which creates a sense of irresponsibility.
Social media has become the hub for freelancers. As it provides the sources to connect with the right audience for the work. And it attracts only that audience relevant for your domain through some app. Social media increase the RoI and help in converting great landing pages. You can use it for question answers round and ask them their problems and giving them their answers which bring positive networking and help you, eventually.