Okay, so there’s no such thing as a perfect online product. But considering what would be perfect might spark ideas of what products are close to perfect. Here, then, is the perfect online product:
- It’s valuable, with high margins. You’re not making a dollar or two per sale; you’re making dozens, perhaps hundreds of dollars.
- It’s in demand. It’s a product people want and are willing to pay for.
- It’s not widely available. Buying online may be the only way to find a product or a particular variety of products.
- It’s a “research” product. People are looking online for this product right now. (Most products are not research products. At this very moment, out of hundreds of millions of Internet users, probably only one or two are trying to find out how to buy sugar online.)
- It’s light and non-fragile, so it’s cheap and easy to ship.
- There’s little or no competition online.
- People love the product so much they’re going to tell their friends about you.
- There’s no smell or texture, or anything else that makes the product one that “just has to be seen.”
- You are intimately connected to the product in some way. The product is related to your hobby or passion.
- Oh, and it’s legal! While a number of illegal substances match the perfect-product criteria, we’re assuming the risk outweighs the benefits.
You can also read: What Makes a Good Online Product?